Tuesday, April 1, 2008

キターーーーーー

So I guess I'm alive. Also, in Japan. An admirable combination.

It took a while to click in my head that I was actually here. I think it happened while I was in the bathroom at Narita airport. Can't really explain why.

Anyways, here's a non-comprehensive list of things I saw today:
-Enter the Dragon, Enchanted, and Robots, all dubbed into Japanese. That made the 10.5-hour flight a bit more manageable.
-High school girls in uniform reading manga on the train.
-Full grown men in business suits reading manga on the train.
-A shirt that said:
NYC
International Something
The Positive Medical Zone
-Three young guys, wearing business suits and ties, holding identical Winnie the Pooh handbags.

In short, Japan is more or less exactly what I expected it to be.

The Crisis-o-Meter has been reading moderately low so far. I'm currently writing this in a Starbucks in Hanno while I wait for my friend to get off work. I only nearly got lost twice on the way here, once in a train station that I didn't understand the machinations of and once on the dense, confusing streets of Hanno. I only got here an hour later than I was expecting!

A noticeable, though hardly surprising, phenomenon I've noticed is that the amount of English I see is directly proportional to proximity to the airport. Now that I'm way the hell out 3 train routes away from it, I'm pushing my Japanese and not-panicking skills to their limits. I've been culture shocking a bit, I think.

No pictures today. I've been awake and traveling for nearly 24 hours straight, and I don't have the energy to take photos and then figure out how to use my SD Card Reader. So, expect some of that hopefully next time I post, which should be about 2 days from now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*quirky grin* Glad you managed to keep panic under lock and key, especially given how hard it is for me to do likewise when i'm as sleep deprived as you were at the time.

You know my phone mail, send me MSN info or something. :)

Rowan said...

No underage girls, you hear me? I'll come after you.
I'm glad your first day turned out alright!