Sunday, April 6, 2008

今写真があります!

Life is progressing smoothly. I just figured out how to get picutres off of my SD Card, so there will be a bunch of pictures after my general text block.

I went to a 花見 (cherry blossom viewing) today, which was not remotely as boring as it sounds. There were about twenty of us there, some exchange students and some Japan natives. The primary event was talking and snacking underneath the admittedly gorgeous cherry trees. Conversation was about equal parts Japanese and English, and I made a variety of new friends. Once everyone had had at least one drink, someone busted out Twister, and much more zany fun was had. A good day overall.

Tomorrow morning is my interview to finish determining which level of Japanese they're going to place me in.

Anyways, pictures!



Tokyo Tower!


Awesome and extremely commonplace gardens in front of every house!


According to the school cafeteria, Noodles are not Food!


This is the second most righteous restaurant I've managed to find yet. It is a place to get 焼肉丼, which is basically a bigass bowl of beef and rice and is amazingly delicious and surprisingly affordable.

The first most righteous restaurant I do not have a picture of, but it's a similar place, only more expensive, bigger servings, and it's run out of the house of an old lady who makes you clean up your table after you eat and gets mad at you if you don't finish your food.


Sakura! They are pretty!


Emphasizing the previous point!


This is me (left) and my two awesome new friends, Kanako (middle) and Haruka (right). After the event, the three of us went out for italian food and discussed the various incomprehensibly horrifying things that Americans do, like refusing to put mayonnaise on pizza.


Twister is a great game for loosening up Japanese inhibitions. We were getting pretty intense about it, elimitating rows when the game went on too long without anyone falling over.


I'm playing this time! Pictured on the far left is Aki, the most badass Japanese girl ever.


I'll be taking more pictures now that I know how my camera works right. I'll have to drop by the buddhist temple I found within walking distance of my apartment and take a bunch of pictures of it.

7 comments:

H.M. Comet said...

Waaaaa!! Natsukashii!!
So you have discovered and heard the words of wisdom for "Sakuranbo" (cherry)- the mama run restaurant.

And have already gone hanami!!! Sounds so fun! I am enjoying reading about your time in Japan!

(And lets see and heard more of why Aki is so bad ass)

Unknown said...

Where was your Ohanami at? I was at Shiba Koen on Sunday doing one, and it is also within view of Tokyo tower.

Alan Gordon said...

Adria:
Yes! 'Sakuranbo' was what the sign said. It's an awesome place.

As for Aki's badassitude, it is not easy to explain without meeting her in person.


Jason:
I dunno the name of the place, but it's right next to Fuchinobe station, near Machida. It is not within view of Tokyo Tower.

Rowan said...

Psh, beautiful endless amounts of pink flowers boring?!
Nigga please!

*ahem* It's wonderful to hear you're having the time of your life thus far. And I have to say in that last picture it looks like you're about to pull a huge sword out of nowhere and slice every other competator's head off while screaming "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!"
That'd make a great movie. "Twister: The Battlefield of Colored Circles."

Unknown said...

Already cozying up to the Japanese ladies, eh Alan?

Unknown said...

Austin said as though it were a bad thing.

Go for it Alan! :)

Unknown said...

If noodles aren't food, what are they?
Grandpa