Sunday, April 20, 2008

書いたことがたくさんあるね

Several individual bits today.

Minor random observation: Japanese prices come in different increments than American prices, and I know why.

All right, to explain what I mean, if something costs less than a dollar in America, it's probably going to be priced at one of three values: $0.25, $0.50, or $0.75. American prices go by 25-cent increments, generally.
Japanese prices, though, don't. They go by 10 yen increments. You're more likely to see prices like 70, 90, 230 yen.

The reason for this? The quarter. There is no 25-yen coin; it goes 1, 5, 10, 50, 100, 500. Thus, there's no reason to arrange prices by 25s.

Okay, now that I'm done incoherently rambling, let's move on...

Yesterday: Was awesome.
The brunt of yesterday's activities was going to lunch and Karaoke with two of my new Japanese friends, Shizuka and Kanna.

...okay, I'm going to take a moment to ancitipate a line of questioning that I know for a fact is on at least a few minds in the audience (hi mom). I believe it goes something like this:
"But Alan, you unstoppable force of raw charisma, every friend you've mentioned in this blog is a girl! Are you some kind of ultimate ladies' man or something?"

The short answer: No.

The long answer: There's a number of factors that lead to this gender discrepancy. First and foremost is that I just tend to get along better with girls than I do with other guys.
Beyond that, I've noticed that there seems to be a HUGE gender gap at Oberlin. Just looking around, something like 70% of the student body is female. The same ratio holds up among the exchange students, and the Japanese students who signed up to help the exchange students are, as far as I can tell, all female. So, even if I made friends completely indiscriminately, I'd have mostly female friends.

I do have a couple male friends; they haven't made it into the blog. For the record, I have no intention of getting involved with any local Japanese girls, so rest easy.

*cough* where was I?

Oh right! Lunch and Karaoke.
Lunch was Okonomiyaki, which I had never had before. It was all very Japanese-style, with sitting on the floor at low tables and cooking the food ourselves on the table, which had a stovetop in the middle. It was also quite delicious. If I can get in touch with Kanna, I'll post the pictures she took.

After lunch was Karaoke. In the past, I've not really been big on singing, but it's possible that something has loosened me up tot he notion, and I actually had a blast. I mostly stuck to English songs with them sticking to Japanese songs, but I did manage to pull of one Japanese song with a decent level of competency.

A fun time was had by all, and we intend to get together again at some future time for more antics.


Photos: I went on a walk today! I have some pictures of Machida.


Machida is a vertical city. In the rare event when an establishment isn't multi-floored, the space is filled with five or six different businesses stacked on top of each other. Space is a commodity, and they make the best use of it they can.


I don't really have anything insightful to say here, I just like the name "Book Off" for a bookstore chain. Makes it sound like some kind of fierce competition.


How grand! Japan really loves its Pachinko.
I'll pass, personally.


At first galnce, this looked like an awesome little park, but upon entering it immediately became apparent that every single person in the park was smoking. I beat a hasty retreat.


Japanese advertisers really go overboard sometimes. This (fully 3D!) elaborate monster sculpture marks the entrance to an arcade. Not even a particularly awesome-looking arcade, aside from this sign.


Now this was interesting. These two guys were out on the street, performing something not entirely unlike traditional Native American music. To be fair, I don't have the slightest idea how close or far they were from the real deal, but it was at least interesting to see it in Japan.


Just as a random note to close on, this is the view down from right outside the Muramatsu residence. We're on the 14th floor! It's kind of scary!

5 comments:

Pam East said...

Enjoyed the Sambomaster video very much! Cute video. I'd love to know what the words to the song were.

Aunt Pam

Alan Gordon said...

Super-approximate translation by me:

When a dim light is lit within your tears
I'll tell you what I'm thinking about
Even if our voices are to run dry
I just want someone to sing with until the morning comes

If you say the old you was a fraud
Then I'll just cast it away

Connecting us to the new days
Is the new you and me
Somehow, confirming our meeting
That's what the world calls love

Connecting us to the voice of the heart
Is something a little scary
Our voices join together
We'll sing as if the days gone by had never happened

From the day that we start to doubt someone
At least for today, we'll sing a beautiful song
By your said words, nothing will change
That person is yearning for something

If the old you was a treacherous person
I'll just forget about the past

The change in the new days
Is the bounds of innocent love
That's confirming our meeting
That's also what the world calls love

Connecting us to the voice of the heart
Is something a little scary
Somehow, our voices join together
We'll sing as if the days gone by had never happened

Love and peace!
Love and peace!
Love and peace!
Does the flower of sadness ever bloom?

The us of yesterday
Is filled with premonitions
You and I shout out our dreams
That's what the world is waiting for

Me singing for your sake
Is something a little bit scary
Even so, we confirm our meeting
As if the days gone by had never happened
As if that night of sadness had never happened
We sing

That's what the world calls love!

Pam East said...

Thanks for the translation. I've ended up watching that video about three or four times. It's the first time I've had a non-english song stuck in my head! I wish I could find an mp3 of it so I could add it to my ipod.

Aunt Pam

Unknown said...

EEeep... The last pic gave me vertigo. @o@

So you had fun at Karaoke? That's good. It is one of my favorite things here. Back home it's way too public for my taste, but a Karaoke box is for the win.

You got any free time during golden week? I'd like to come see Machida at some point if you have time to hang for a while, it gives me a good excuse to not spend my whole vacation in my apartment. :p

Alan Gordon said...

My spare time during Golden Week will be spent in Hokkaido.