Thursday, April 3, 2008

日本がよく分かりません。

Finally have a functioning, sane internet connection. I might've posted sooner, but the Garden Hotel charges for internet by the minute.

I'm actually at the University now! The exchange program felt like it began in earnest once I got on the bus to the hotel, because I started running into the other students there. After sharing a hotel room for the night with our only German student, we had a quick breakfast and hit the road.

This last day has felt about as long as the first day did, and I didn't even cross any time zones today. It was just so dense. I met dozens of people, was introduced to the University for the first time, found my temporary apartment, went shopping twice with slightly different groups of people, and got my internet set up.

Observations of note:
  • The atmosphere is a lot less formal than I was expecting, particularly with the volunteer students. I don't mind, though, informal Japanese is easier on my brain.
  • Machida's shopping center is awesome. I intend to go back again soon, armed with a camera. Japanese stores tend to be smaller horizontally than American ones, but larger vertically. I got my LAN cable at a store called Don Quixote (technically Donki Houte, with Donki being the name of some sort of penguin or something) that spanned six floors, each about the size of a large Starbucks, and each focusing on a different theme. It was a hell of a store.
  • I have essentially no cooking implements. The apartment came equipped with a fridge, a microwave, and a gas stove, but no plates, silverware, pots, pans, or anything else of the sort. I've picked up some chopsticks and a bowl for the moment; stocking up considerably on kitchen supplies seems ill-advised when you consider that I'm leaving the apartments in a week or two.
  • Japanese public transit can be intimidating during the denser hours. I've seen a Japanese person look at a train that is packed to the brim with people to the point that there is no room on the train for anyone else, then get on anyway. I'm sure I haven't seen the half of it, either. When you're in a throng in motion, stopping is intensely dangerous.
  • Having a train card is the most convenient thing ever. My friend who I stayed with the first night gave me his spare backup card, so instead of having to ponder over which line I'm taking and how far I can buy one ticket for, I just need to swipe my wallet over a scanner at each stop and occasionally recharge the card. It's awesome.
I'm sure I have but, but I'm insanely tired right now, so I'm going to go to bed. Next post will have photos, I promise.

4 comments:

Pam East said...

Ah yes, the trains at rush hour. I remember there being men on the platform who had the job of packing us in like sardines in order to get the doors closed. I was groped by a total stranger, but we were packed so tight I couldn't figure out who had done it. Got propositioned a lot too. As you are not a 17 year old girl, I'm hoping you get to miss some of my more memorable train experiences.

I remember the tall skinny stores too. And the pachinko machines! I had no idea what they were or that gambling was involved, but was predictably attracted to all the color, noise and flashing lights. Michi dragged me away before I could get too close though. lol.

Aunt Pam

Unknown said...

The train system within the major traffic hubs has been considerably upgraded within the last two years. I haven't seen a train pusher once, and that includes travelling into Tokyo on a major line during a holiday. There were no SEATS mind you, but no train pushers.

I wish I would get propositioned more. *grins*

Pam East said...

I'm sure a lot has changed since I was there. It was 1981!

Trust me, the kinds of propositions I was getting, you wouldn't want. It was fairly grotesque. lol.

Aunt Pam

Unknown said...

A great adventure. You are a lot more adventurous than I was. I got married instead. There are no regrets.

Yes we would like to receive a post card or two. I will reimburse you for the postage if you can tell me how to do it.

Our mailing address is:
4448 E. Main Street #3-205
Mesa, AZ 85205
U.S.A.

Love,
Grandpa