Monday, April 28, 2008

鎌倉ですよ

Long time no post! You have my apologies.

There is a row of dogwood trees in Machida that are from Washington state! Apparently we traded them for some Sakura a while back.
They are blooming! Here's some pictures:









But that's not the important part of today's post. No, the important part is this past weekend, when I went to Kamakura, the former de facto capital of Japan, as it held the Shogunate during the aptly named Kamakura Period.

More importantly, I took pictures of it!
I know at least one of you wanted more pictures of temples, so I'll give you that and more.
First stop: Enoshima!
Here are some pictures of the Koyurugi Shrine, which isn't particularly big or famous but I found it so I'm gonna show you it:








Across the street was a beautiful Japanese graveyard.






And that's enough of Enoshima! The next destination was Kamakura itself, where BUDDHA LIVES.

Okay, so he doesn't LIVE there, but he's still really tall.


This tree is important because apparently it was planted by the Crown Prince of Thailand, Vajiralongkorn, in 1987. I just put it here as an excuse to type out that name.

Anyways, Buddha!


HE'S TALL


Seriously, check out how tall he is! Look at the guy in the corner there!


I also got to go inside the buddha, but that didn't come out on pictures very well, so you'll have to take my word for it that it was awesome.

Next stop is Tsuruoka Hachimanguu, a very famous temple.
One the way was an awesome path/garden/lane divider thing, going down the middle of the street:





And here's the temple itself:






Tragically, this is about where my camera ran out of batteries, so no pictures of Kenchouji temple for you.

Anyways, I may be a bit prolonged on my next post, as I am going to HOKKAIDO.
I leave on Friday, and come back the following Tuesday. It's Golden Week, so I can do that!

I will post many pictures and talk about many adventures when I return.

1 comment:

Roberto said...

Very nice pictures! I like very much your blog... I come here more often.