Saturday, July 12, 2008

子供たちはかわいい!

Brief, photo-free post this time. Next one will make up for it, trust me.

My primary activity of note (aside from my 22nd birthday last weekend WOO) these last few weeks has been my Field Work class finally starting in earnest. I have gone to two elementary schools to talk to impressionable youths, and talked with a group of Junior High students once. My last school visit is next week.

The school visits have been really fun! The first was a group of 1st-3rd grade students, which me and maybe 12 other exchange students hung out with as a group. We told them our names and where we were from, and then we taught them how to play Rock Paper Scissors in English, Korean, Chinese, and Italian.

My favorite moment from that trip was a young boy who quietly sat down with the class, looking at us (who were all furiously foreign-looking and also holding flags of our home countries) kind of vaguely, and after the teacher had been explaining why we were here for a good minute, he suddenly shouted out 「ウオ、外国人!?」 ("WHOA, foreigners?").

The second trip was a bit more educationally intensive, as it was a 6th grade class and we were separated one exchange student per class. I taught them numbers zero through ten, along with plus, minus, times, divided by, and equals. I also told them a bit about Washington and answered some questions, most of them about either Baseball or Pokemon.

The Junior High students were somewhat less enthusiastic, especially the boys. It was pretty evident that they didn't want to be there, nor did they care about learning English. Ah, well, they're in Junior High. What can you expect?


I apologize for the lack of amazing photography in this post, but tomorrow morning I am setting out for the former capital city of KYOTO, and staying there for 2 days and 1 night. You'll get your pictures after that.

Cheers!

No comments: